EIDL or PPP – Which is right for you?

April 2nd, 2020 by

Edited based on information received during a 4/7/2020 webinar with Joe Amato, SBA’s Nevada District Office Director.  Notes from that are here. In an effort to get as close to the horse’s mouth, so to speak, we are sharing the information Gina received on a conference call with the SBA’s Nevada District Office Director, Joe […]

Small Business Response to COVID-19

March 30th, 2020 by

Updated 4/9/2020 Nevada Banks – Taking Non-Client Applications or Not? Latest updates on funding as of 4/7/2020 5:16pm: From SBA Webinar OPTIONS FOR FUNDING – Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) and Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) US Treasury Guidance on PPP Vegas Chamber Webinars – MAIN PAGE Vegas Chamber Presents: A Federal Update on CARES Act […]

Commercial Lease Obligations During The Coronavirus Insanity

March 27th, 2020 by

***4/3/2020 UPDATE*** As you may be aware, Governor Sisolak declared Emergency Directive 008 (the “Directive”) earlier this week. The Directive essentially puts a stay (prohibition) on all commercial and residential evictions and foreclosures while the state of emergency (issued March 12, 2020) remains in effect. Basically, this means your landlords cannot evict you from your space for defaulting […]

Nevada Essential and Non-Essential Businesses

March 23rd, 2020 by

We are fielding a LOT of calls from businesses that are on the fringe of “essential” and are asking if they can continue to operate. The short answer is that, in most cases, it’s not abundantly clear. First, let’s go to the source – the definition of essential business NOT from the local news, or […]

ITINs, EINs, and Responsible Parties

October 19th, 2016 by

In order to open a bank account for your business entity, you have to present Articles of Organization/Incorporation and an EIN, which is an Employer Identification Number issued by the IRS.  In order to apply for an EIN number, you have to supply the EIN, ITIN, or Social Security Number of a “Responsible Party” for […]

WTF(LSA) – New FLSA Regulations

July 16th, 2016 by

Goodness gracious.  Every time I think regulations affecting small businesses can’t get any more onerous, I’m proven wrong. From the ACA to state and local regulations that place a disproportionate (IMO) burden on employers to prove their compliance with the law, it seems to be getting more and more arduous to run a small business. […]

Changing from Corporation to LLC in Nevada

August 15th, 2015 by

Recently, the Nevada legislature increased the cost of doing business here in Nevada.  Initial and annual lists (required annually) increased for every type of entity by $25.  While this is may be the cost of a few cups of fancy coffee, the real heartburn is being felt by our clients who are organized as corporations. […]

Nevada Consumer Use and Sales Tax Returns

November 10th, 2014 by

If you’re doing business in Nevada, you have to register with the Nevada Department of Taxation for either a sales tax permit or a use tax permit.  If you’re selling tangible goods, you’ll need a sales tax permit. If you aren’t, like many service providers, you’ll need a consumer use tax permit. With a sales […]

Benefit Corporations

January 19th, 2014 by

On January 1, 2014, the Nevada Secretary of State began accepting filings for a new entity, the benefit corporation, or “B corp.” Officers and directors of traditional corporations labor under a fiduciary obligation to turn a profit for shareholders.  A corporation’s failure to do so can result in a shareholder derivative suit, where the individual […]